The full pizza experience without the grain.
Our family avoids most grains. But, we craved a real pizza experience—pizza you could actually pick up in your hands! This recipe is absolutely delicious. I’m not going to lie to you, it’s a LOT of work and pretty messy too. But, it’s worth every minute of it!
The Detoxinista taught us how to create a crust that you can actually pick up so kudos to her and her original recipe! Of course, as we always do, we altered the original recipe to suit our taste and preferences.
Obviously, waiting for local cauliflower season is the best time to make up a big batch of these crusts and then freeze them for a quick “frozen pizza” on a busy work night.
4 cups raw cauliflower rice (about one medium head)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup grated cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch of salt
Make the cauliflower rice:
- , pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
- Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the “rice” and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.
- THIS IS THE SECRET: Once you’ve strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel. Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEZE all the excess moisture out! It’s amazing how much extra liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.
Make the crust:
- In a large bowl, mix up your strained rice, beaten egg, goat cheese, and spices. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.) It won’t be like any pizza dough you’ve ever worked with, but don’t worry– it’ll hold together!
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (It’s important that it’s lined with parchment paper, or it will stick.) Keep the dough about 1/3” thick, and make the edges a little higher for a “crust” effect, if you like.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F. The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.
Add your toppings:
- Now’s the time to add all your favorites—sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like. Return the pizza to the 400F oven, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Slice and serve immediately!