Chilli typically uses ground beef. But, we like this chunkier version made with stewing beef and braising ribs for added flavour. Of course, you can do it with ground beef if you like. We strayed from the Paleo way ever so slightly by adding some organic frozen corn–it adds a nice texture. (If you choose to include the corn, ensure it is organic–that way you also ensure it is non-GMO.)
2 lbs grass-fed stewing beef
1 lb braising ribs
2 Tbsp lard
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
¼ C 100% cacao powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 cups organic frozen corn kernels
- In a large pan, heat lard over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion; saute until tender but do not burn.
- Add the stewing beef and sear (just long enough to brown the outside of the meat).
- Add meat/garlic/onion mixture to the crock-pot.
- In no particular order, add in the celery, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cacao powder, and spices.
- Stir all ingredients well and set Crock-Pot to low and cook for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- At the end, stir in the thawed organic corn kernels.
- Serve and enjoy!