Our version of this Dauphinoise may be a little less sophisticated but it makes for a satisfying one-dish meal! We bake several pans of it in advance and throw them from the freezer into the oven when we need a quick meal. Add a side salad, and you’re done!
1 cup cream
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped rosemary
2 tbsp butter or lard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 lb ground grass-fed beef
8 cups (2 L) lightly packed kale, washed, spun and stemmed
2 lb (1 kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Sea salt and black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) grated sharp cheese (we used emmental)
Saute Beef and Kale Separately
- In a large skillet, saute onion and brown beef. Remove.
- Add kale and garlic, saute. Remove from heat.
- Generously grease a glass oven-safe pan.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with one layer of sweet potato slices.
- Evenly distribute a layer of ground beef.
- Then, evenly distribute a layer of kale.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese.
- Repeat…sweet potato, ground beef, kale and cheese.
- End with a generous layer of cheese.
Top with Cream Mixture
- Stir together the cream, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at about 400ºF until tender, browned and bubbling, 50 to 55 minutes, covering top with foil if it starts to brown too much. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.